..nothing new in my blog.. I am too busy
Some recent news about open source, just to fill in this blog 😉
This one is possibly not open source, just freeware:
The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities
Hearing so many arguments about war and terrorism these days, from newspapers, TV, emails, etc. that feel so.. confusing
What to hold?
A message from Pope John Paul II “For the Celebration of the World Day of Peace” a few years ago feels so.. universal:
“..individuals are essentially social beings, situated within a pattern of relationships through which they express themselves in ways both good and bad. Consequently, society too is absolutely in need of forgiveness.”
“Forgiveness in fact always involves an apparent short-term loss for a real long-term gain. Violence is the exact opposite; opting as it does for an apparent shortâ€‘term gain it involves a real and permanent loss. Forgiveness may seem like weakness, but it demands great spiritual strength and moral courage, both in granting it and in accepting it.”
“No peace without justice, no justice without forgiveness..”
The full message
A fantastic art: Newcastle Nude
The pictures in Flickr:
and the news in BBC
After looking at the photos, I believe that the event is really fantastic. I regret that I knew it late (the day after).
Hero movie, starring: Jet Li – etc, tells about several people who initially intended to assassinate a king of Qin dynasty years ago.
Some messages from the film that I personally can catch:
- Sword and calligraphy are the same, as they represent truth and simplicity
- Sword and calligraphy are the same, in that we must know their true essence. Sword can be a symbol of a thing that can be used to kill people, so it can be dangerous. Calligraphy (Chinese calligraphy) can relate to culture that is natural and must be respected, so it can be astonishing and beautiful. Thus, dangerous things and beautiful things are the same, in that we must know their true essence.
- A hero holds the truth. He can die because of that but his death will bring messages one will never forget
- Emotion, anger and hate are conquered by true love
- ‘All below Heaven’. Fight and hate between two enemies are trivial, compared to huge effect they can yield. Just abort any revenge because a revenge can give bad effects to the entire world. In that film, Calligraphy has taught him not to revenge. Peace.
- Love is above all
- A power means a very powerful ability to deliver wisdom including forgiveness
- A weak king means a strong king who listens to his advisors more than to his own heart
..deep.. at this moment I can just guess what they mean..
FC4, fresh install, on Thinkpad T23
- Display.. recognised. Generic LCD 1024×768, Millions of color.
- Sound.. On by default, finally.
- Wireless card.. Needed to install ndiswrapper. Downloadable from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net. The installation instruction is here – it’s quick.
- Printer: Canon i250.. now working, at least for printing postscript and pdf files, using linux rpm driver from Canon NZ. The installation note is in linuxprinting.org
- Slow internet? Added “alias ipv6 off” and “alias net-pf-10 off” into /etc/modprobe.conf to disable ipv6
- Freeze suddenly? Tried disabling ACPI and turning off cpuspeed service. Add “acpi=off” as kernel parameter in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Disabled “cpuspeed” service at boot time – seems cpuspeed doesn’t like T23.
- Ugly fonts? Followed this and this (The bytecode interpreter part gives significant effect) and get better fonts than Windows
- cdrecord by adding “hdc=ide-scsi” freezes? Read this. Use K3b instead to burn CD, without ide-scsi module.
- Hang while running eclipse 3.1? Have used eclipse 3.0 with j2sdk (sun) instead without problem.
I’ve just forwarded tanto.me.uk to this webspace. No meaningful contents from me yet – I need to put the contents from my old website into here. Also I stop aggregating feeds as I want feed posts to be in a separate page.
But the gallery has some pictures to enjoy..
Ok my requirements are:
- A web that can be updated easily and read clearly, and the readers can give comments on the contents
- Gallery of my pictures that can be enjoyed
- A log of my activities in projects that can be accessed by particular users
- An aggregation of favourite sites (i.e. rss syndication)
- A facility that is simple, interesting and painless-to-upgrade
and finally.. WordPress for my requirements above (after using other cms like PhpWebsite, Drupal, Mambo for quite a while). So far requirement 1,2,3 and 5 have been fulfilled by WordPress. Requirement 4 is under investigation.. pretty sure it can be done…
A friend of mine, Frida, wants me to put this letter.
Dear Mr Blair,
I write on World Debt Day, first to thank you for the support that you and your labour party have given to 100% DEBT RELIEF for the poorest countries. The position recently adopted by Britain drew this response from 1 jubilee leader: â€œWhat wonderful news!â€? However, it will not be at all wonderful if you fail to get agreement in July! You have raised enormous expectations among people all over the world and I ask you to do all within your power to make it come true.
I am most concern that Debt relief should really help destitute countries. Jubilee supporters did not raise a petition of 24 million signatures from 166 countries ( a double world record) just to secure debt relief at the expense of aid! We havenâ€™t campaigned for nearly 9 years just to see money is taken out of 1 pocket and put into another! Such an outcome would be the ultimate betrayal of the worldâ€™s destitute and would result in great bitterness and disillusionment here in Britain. I support conditions for debt relief where these contribute to poverty eradication, but the damaging and doctrinaire requirements imposed by the IMF must end.
Finally I ask you to give due public prominence not only to world poverty and its dire consequences, but also to our responsibility in these matters. You have issued stark warnings about the dangers of terrorism; please bear in mind, whereas terrorism kills thousands of innocent people each year, absolutely poverty kills millions and ruins the live of billions.
The enforcement of debt repayments, unfair trade rules and miserly aid policies all combine to help maintain and entrench this evil we are responsible for â€œ economic terrorâ€? on a global scale and you could no greater to the world than by stating this eloquently and frequently.
Newcastle upon Tyne